Events and Meetings in 2017-2018
The schedule of speakers is:
- Tues 19th September 2017 - The speaker was Rose McGinty, author of "Electric Souk"
- Tues 28th November 2017 - The speaker was Annabelle Thorpe, author of last year's runner-up "The People We Were Before"
- Tues 16th January 2018 - Long listing meeting. The speaker was Keith Stuart author of "A Boy Made of Blocks"
- Tues 27th March 2018 - Short listing meeting. The speaker will be Robert Parker, local author of the thriller "A Wanted Man"
- Tues 26th June 2018 - Voting meeting. Karen Ankers will speak about her novel "The Crossing Place", which is set in Chester
Meetings are at 7.30pm in Burley Hall, Old Waverton. All are welcome: £3 on the door.
Awards Dinner 2017
The fourteenth award dinner was held at Eaton Golf Club on Friday 20th October 2017. A capacity audience listened as last year's winner, John Donoghue, introduced Harry Parker. Harry captivated the diners with his account of his experiences in the army and how he had turned them into his first novel. He described how - following the publication of his book, he divided his time between writing and his long-standing passion for painting. Harry has a one-man show scheduled for 2018.
A special vote of thanks was given to Sue Bloomfield who has been an active supporter of the Award for many years. Sue was presented with a small gift by Wendy and Gwen to mark her retirement from Penguin Random House, but not - we hope - from engagement with WGRA.
Photos by Fox Lane Photos
Keith Stuart spoke passionately at the third meeting of the 2017-18 season. He described how he came to write "A Boy Made of Blocks" during his busy career as Video Games Editor for The Guardian. The book describes how the game Minecraft helps a father to connect with his autistic son and the story stimulated many questions from the audience.
The second meeting of the 2017-18 season was addressed by Annabelle Thorpe, the author of last year's runner-up "The People We Were Before". Annabelle described the "hurdles" she had to cross to get her first book published, and revealed that they were even higher for her second book "What Lies Within" which will be published in April 2018. There was a lot of discussion about the events in Croatia in the 80s and 90s, and the location for Annabelle's second book - Marrakesh.
The 2017-18 season, our 15th, was opened in September with a talk by Rose McGinty, author of "Electric Souk". Rose described some of the experiences in the Middle East and in the NHS which informed the plot of her book. She gave us some readings and her book was so popular we wished we had orderd more copies.